The Balzac Museum – Château de Saché is in the heart of Touraine, a prime destination to explore: www.touraineloirevalley.com.
Azay Chinon Val de Loire Tourist Information has put together a wide range of quality accommodation to suit any budget and must-visits to help you plan your stay: http://www.azay-chinon-valdeloire.com.
Bords de l'Indre à Saché.
In the aera
Not only is the Indre Valley home to the Balzac Museum and Saché village but it's also full of surprises:
- Domaine de Candé, in Monts, its château in the middle of a 230 hectare estate
- Château d’Azay-le-Rideau which Balzac described as a "facet-cut diamond set in the Indre"
- Château de l’Islette which set the stage for Camille Claudel and Rodin's relationship
- The village of Pont de Ruan and its water mills described by Balzac in The Lily of the Valley
- The troglodyte village of Villaines-les-Rochers, the wickerwork capital
Louis Candide Boulanger, Honoré de Balzac, oil on canvas, 1836, Musée des Beaux-Arts de Tours, © photo Dominique Couineau.
Balzac à Tours
- Tours, City of Art and History: discover the Balzac itinerary Laissez-vous conter Balzac
- Tours, Musée des Beaux-arts : portraits of Balzac par Louis Boulanger (oil on canvas, 1836), , Achille Devéria (attr., wash drawing, circa 1829) and Gérard Seguin (pastel, 1841).
- Tours, Jardin de la préfecture : contemporary piece as part of Nicolas Milhé, La Comédie humaine, five bronze figures, 2019 (father Goriot, Henriette de Mortsauf, Rastignac, abbey Birotteau et Miss Gamard).
Indre-et-Loire Council also owns 7 other visitor attractions that capture Touraine's glory days and showcase the greatest authors to make their mark on French literature.
TWO OTHER AUTHOR'S HOUSES
- Prieuré Saint-Cosme – Ronsard's house in La Riche, 22km
- Rabelais Museum – La Devinière, 33km
TWO MEDIEVAL FORTRESSES :
- La Forteresse royale de Chinon, 26 km
- La Cité royale de Loches, à 45 km
- Domaine de Candé, in Monts, 15km
- Hôtel Goüin, in Tours, 26km
- Le Grand-Pressigny Prehistory Museum, 53km
Explore in and around the Indre Valley on its countless bike paths:
"In Balzac's footsteps" cycling loop :